Hurricane Season is Rapidly Approaching…
The 2020 Hurricane season begins on June 1st! Now is a great time to remind your client’s to review their insurance coverage. The hurricane season will last through November 30th. Although each hurricane season is unique, you should prepare the same way every year because these predicted powerful tropical storms wreak havoc on communities when they make landfall. It is beneficial that severe weather such as hurricanes and tropical storms can normally be tracked days ahead of any impact which provides ample time to prepare for a potential evacuation. In spite of such warnings and tracking, each year thousands are left unprepared for these devastating storms and have to deal with their aftermath.
AccuWeather released its hurricane forecast for the upcoming season, predicting that 14-18 named storms would form, of which seven to nine will be hurricanes. The firm said two to four are likely to hit the U.S.
No one should not to wait until a hurricane watch has been issued to begin taking the proper precautions.
- Plan your evacuation route!
- Keep a supply of non-perishable items on hand during hurricane season such as:
- Extra batteries and flashlights
- Candles or lamps with fuel
- Materials and tools for emergency home repairs–such as heavy plastic sheeting, plywood, a hammer, etc.
- Prescription drugs
- A three-day supply of drinking water
- Food that you don’t have to refrigerate or cook
- First aid supplies
- Basic tools
- Take inventory of both your home and your office.
- Take steps to protect your business – Hurricanes take a toll on businesses, too so be prepared. Review and update your emergency business response and continuity plan.
- Keep contact information for employees, suppliers and vendors current so you can check in with them and communicate the next steps for resuming normal business operations.
- Review your business insurance policies in order to understand what’s covered in case a hurricane does hit your area.
It is crucial to be prepare for each storm the same way. Be sure to check your insurance policies ahead of time to ensure you have the coverages you need.
New Empire Group is a nationally recognized and awarded insurance program administrator providing specialty insurance programs and products for the commercial real estate industry, including Commercial Umbrella, CondoPak, and RECOVER Environmental.
CHOOSE A PROGRAM Share on facebook Share on linkedin Share on twitter Property Owners, Coop Boards and Landlords research and deal with many different types of