COVID-19 & New Empire Group’s RECOVER Program + Tips on How to Deal with Potential COVID-19 Related Issues
As the days go by, there seems to be new information regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) disease everywhere we turn. With this new information, there is also concerns over its potential to affect the welfare of our employees or our business operations. You may be wondering if it’s negative effect could be covered by an insurance policy you have?
One of the insurance policies that you may check to see if COVID-19 claims are covered is your Site Pollution Policy. Environmental or Site pollution policies typically address the risk with bodily injury, property damage, and clean-up expenses arising from the release of contaminants. Although our RECOVER Program may be designed to include cleanup, disinfection and decontamination coverage, there are limitations to available coverage for COVID-19 due to specific policy wording. Our policy contains specific exclusions for cleanup costs and disinfection expenses associated with communicable diseases (i.e., diseases transmitted via human-to-human contact) as well as Mold Matter or Microbial Matter.
Beyond checking all of your insurance policies for coverage, here are a few actions that you can take now to make sure that your business is in the best position possible to deal with any potential COVID-19 related issues:
- Keep constant communication open with your employees, vendors, partners and customers. Continue to share information and official updates from organizations like the CDC with your employees so they understand the potential threats and the appropriate steps you’re taking to ensure business operations do not become interrupted.
- If you haven’t already done so, review your business continuity plan and determine alternative business plans such as how your employees can work from home seamlessly. Check your business continuity procedures to ensure your organization is prepared if your employees become ill. Your continuity plan should include:
- How to accommodate employees who don’t feel safe working in a communal space.
- How to accommodate employees whose home life may be impacted if schools or childcare centers are closed.
- The measures you will take if an employee is impacted.
- Educate your employees & prepare your physical work space when you feel it is safe to reopen your doors. Be clear about how you’re handling the pandemic at your workplace. Review your physical workplace for possible points of transmission of infection like telephones, conference rooms and common areas and increase the frequency of office cleanings.
New Empire Group’s underwriting team is here to help you with any coverage questions you may have! You may send any inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Empire Group is a nationally recognized and awarded insurance program administrator providing specialty insurance programs and products for the commercial real estate industry, including Commercial Umbrella, CondoPak, and RECOVER Environmental.
CHOOSE A PROGRAM Share on facebook Share on linkedin Share on twitter Property Owners, Coop Boards and Landlords research and deal with many different types of